Recipient of the Order of Jamaica for his philanthropy and contribution to the development of commerce and business, Lascelles A. Chin is the Executive Chairman of LASCO Manufacturing Limited, LASCO Distributors Limited and LASCO Financial Services Limited.
This Jamaican born entrepreneur who ventured into the field of business and commerce over 50 years ago, found opportunities in a variety of sectors; the import of spices and teas, sale of adhesives through his partnership with Henkel, furniture manufacturing, data processing, car rentals, horticulture, insurance brokerage, hair products, soya oil refining, and chicken processing. As a result of his wealth of knowledge, business experience and always being mindful of his humble beginnings, the Chairman has constantly sought to develop and distribute affordable products.
He shares his ideas aid energy with business colleagues and has contributed to prominent Jamaican organization such as the Jamaica Industrial Development Corporation, The Jamaica Exporter’s Association and the Jamaica Promotions Corporation (JAMPRO). He is a Director of the University of the West Indies’ School of Nursing Advisory Board and the Kings House Foundation
Some of the accolades/achievements gained by Hon. Lascelles A. Chin are:
- 2016 – Recipient of Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters Degree (DHL) from Northern Caribbean University
- Recipient of Lifetime Achievement Award, American Chamber of Commerce
- Recipient of the International Achievement “Peacock Award” from the American Friends of Jamaica in Miami, FL.
- Appointment as a Director of Bureau of Standards Jamaica
- 2015 – Recipient of Honorary Doctor of Laws Degree (LLD) from the University of Technology Jamaica
- Recipient of the International Federation Association of Consuls (FICAC) Medal of Distinction Award
- 2013 – Named MoneyGram Brand Ambassador for Jamaica
- 2011 – Inducted in the Private Sector of Jamaica’s Hall of Fame
- 2009 – Recipient of Inaugural CVM People’s Award
- 2008 – Most Admired Business Leader
- 2005 – Recipient of American Foundation for UWI Award – Outstanding Contribution to Business in the Caribbean & as a Caribbean Luminary
- 2004 – Recipient of Florida International University (FIU) Business Leader Award
- 2002 – Recipient of The Agri-Business Award from the American Soybean Association, for active involvement in the Soybean Industry. This award has only been won by multinational companies such as Dupont, Monsanto and Dow, Bayer, Ciba Geigy, Zeneca
- 2001 – Received the 4th highest civilian Jamaican recognition, the Order of Jamaica, in 2001 for his philanthropy and his contribution to the development of commerce/business
- 1986 – Conferred with the Honour of the Order of Distinction in the rank of Commander Class for outstanding services to Industry and Commerce