Corporate Social Responsibility
“I care for people and I appreciate people … I am trying to motivate my fellow business persons to help Jamaica more, we all have to help to make life a little better” – Lascelles Chin, Founder and Executive Chairman.
Commitment to community development is at the nucleus of operations of the LASCO Affiliated Companies. The company is very deliberate in ensuring that footprints of kindness are left on the Jamaican landscape. Indeed, giving back to the community has become a consistent way of life for the team at LASCO, during the company’s existence. It is therefore no surprise that the name LASCO is not only synonymous with quality nutrition, great taste and affordability, but with socio-economic development.
To this end, LASCO is passionate not only about making living affordable for Jamaicans, but going the extra mile to give a helping hand to our communities while inspiring “Everyday Family Values”. LASCO embraces its responsibility to help to uplift and improve the lives of everyday Jamaicans. It comes as no surprise then that LASCO has maintained support of critical areas such as education, health, national security, sports and the environment. Through several flagship programmes, LASCO partners with core public sector bodies to recognise the outstanding contributions of Jamaica’s public servants. By supporting and nurturing nation building initiatives, LASCO aims to empower Jamaicans to play an integral role in the development of the nation.
Over the years, the company has rewarded and publicised the contributions of patriotic Jamaicans, through its annual Police, Nurse, Teacher and Principal of the Year programmes. LASCO values its comprehensive role as a good corporate citizen and has contributed to a number of corporate social responsibility efforts, in the following categories:
- Title sponsor of the Releaf Environment Awareness Programme (REAP), an environmental awareness programme in primary level schools.
- Partnership with the Ministry of Education (MoE) for the hosting of the annual LASCO/MoE Teacher and Principal of the Year programme.
- Sponsorship of the annual TVJ School’s Challenge Quiz – a competition geared at enhancing academic development of high school students.
- Adoption of Basic Schools – Collins Close & Gwen Neil Basic Schools.
- School Feeding Programmes
- Partnership with the MoE for the Read Across Jamaica Day
- Partnership with the Nurses Association of Jamaica (NAJ) for the hosting of the LASCO/NAJ Nurse of the Year Programme.
- Promotion of the elimination of discrimination against persons with HIV/AIDS. LASCO is a Founding Member of the Jamaica Business Council on HIV/AIDS, which formulates strategies to eliminate stigma in the workplace against persons living with HIV/AIDS.
- Donations to the Haematology and Dialysis Units of the University Hospital of the West Indies
- Sponsorship of International Nurses’ Day in May and Nurses’ Week in July
- Sponsorship of the Jamaica Dental Association’s Oral Health Month Health Fairs
- Partnership with the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) in the hosting of the LASCO/JCF Police of the Year programme.
- Sponsorship of the Social Development Commission (SDC) National Twenty/20 Community Cricket Championship
- Contribution to JAAA Jamaica International Invitational Atheltic Meet
- Donation of food supplies to the Sunshine Girls – Jamaica Netball Team
- Sponsorship of the National Primary, All Age and Junior High Schools’ Athletics Championships